的 家庭教育权利和隐私法案 (FERPA – 20 USC § 1232G; 34 CFR Part 99) is a federal law that protects the privacy of student education records. 的 law applies to all schools that receive funds under an applicable program of the 美国教育部.
FERPA gives parents/legal guardians certain rights with respect to their children’s educational records. 的se rights transfer to 学生 when s/he reaches the age of 18 or attends a postsecondary institution. Students to whom the rights have transferred are “eligible students”. (明博体育登录 defines “attends a postsecondary institution” as the first day of classes of 学生’s start term; applicants who do not become students have no FERPA rights).
Definition of Education Records, School Official and Legitimate Educational Interest
教育记录 定义为记录, 文件, documents and other material which contains information directly related to a student. 教育记录 do not include personal 文件 of 教师 and 工作人员, 执法记录, 或者父母的财务记录. FERPA中没有禁止大学官员分享基于该官员个人知识或观察的信息，而不是基于教育记录中包含的信息.
A “学校官员” includes any person employed by the University to fulfill the University’s mission, 如, 但不限于, 教师, 管理员, 工作人员, counselors and health and safety personnel; people or companies contracted with the University 如, 但不限于, 一位律师, 审计师, consultant or collection agent; or a student serving on an official committee or assisting another 学校官员 in performing his/her official tasks.
As custodians of student records in compliance with the 家庭教育权利和隐私法案 of 1974, 1998年修订, 大学承担着充分保护学生记录的信任和义务，其中包括保持教育记录的机密性. 大学制定了有关符合条件的学生和受抚养的符合条件的学生的父母权利的教育记录的政策指导方针. 教育记录 maintained by the university are considered confidential, except for directory information and information that is exempt from the need for consent.
Students may direct questions regarding FERPA and the regulations to the Registrar or the Dean of Students.
To ensure that students have timely academic advising, PSU protocols allow for multiple advisors. This means that students may be advised by not only the 教师 or 工作人员 member formally assigned to them, but also by other 教师 in their program (major, 小, 证书), or 工作人员 from the Center for Student Success. PSU also offers varying levels of instruction for certain courses. 结果是, students enrolling in these courses may find them to be combined, 或堆放, for academic purposes 如 skills-based instruction. 课程可能包括, 但并不局限于, 与仪器相关的, 性能, 和乐队/集合体.
PSU instructors may make the decision to combine courses in order to enable students to collaborate on a project, 研究类似的主题或问题, 会见访问专家, 或其他学术目的. 的se courses could be different sections of the same course, different levels of courses in the same subject area, or courses that are connected through a common theme. Students will be notified in the course syllabus if their course will be combined.
- 例如, two sections of Tackling a Wicked Problem (IS 1115) may be combined, the undergraduate and graduate levels of a course topic 如 Climate Change (MT 4440 & MT 5430) may be combined, or a course on Play & Learning in Early Childhood may meet periodically with a course on Creating Games.
*Concerning student-athletes: It has been determined, 通过FERPA的need-to-know元素, 体育项目 & Compliance Coordinator can receive information regarding all conduct matters involving student-athletes.
目录信息 is information concerning a student that may be disclosed 由…酌情决定 明博体育登录. 信息是否被批准发布, 它可以通过语言来分享, 印刷, 电子或其他形式, 未经事先同意. 的 university includes the following as 目录信息:
- 奖(e /荣誉.g. Latin Honors, 总统’s List, Dean’s List, Honors List)
- Dates of attendance and/or semesters attended
- 阶级地位(e).g. first year, senior, admitted to master’s program)
- Dates of degrees and certificates conferred
- 物理因素 (运动员)
- 学位和主要研究领域(e.g. BS/BA, undergraduate major, graduate program)
- Past and present participation in officially recognized co-curricular activities (e.g. 体育、音乐、戏剧)
- 电源模块邮箱地址 (只供内部使用)
- 致大学官员, 包括学校的律师, who have a 合法的教育利益.
- To institutions where a student seeks or intends to enroll.
- To USNH branches in compliance with trustee policies.
- 给需要照顾的学生的父母. (Appropriate IRS forms are required and generally students are notified of the request.)
- Information considered “directory information” may be released 由…酌情决定 the university.
- Notification of conduct outcome to victims of a crime of violence violation.
- Information that can be released to the public as explained in 学生 conduct section of the handbook.
- Parental notification in drug and alcohol related violations and threats to health and safety.
- Records of deceased former students may be released or disclosed at the request of a parent, personal representative or other qualified representative of 学生’s estate, 或者根据法院的传票.
- Authorized representatives of the Comptroller General, 教育部长, the administrative head of an educational agency, 国家教育部门, or the Attorney General when investigating government sponsored or affiliated program.
- Officials responsible for acting in conjunction with 学生’s application for, 或收到, 金融援助.
- 授权个人或组织为或代表大学进行研究，以发展为目的, 验证, or administering predictive tests; for administering student aid programs; and for improving instruction. 这些研究必须以这样一种方式进行，即除了大学或此类组织的代表之外，不允许其他人识别学生及其父母的个人身份. This information is to be destroyed when it is no longer needed for the purpose for which it was collected. Authorization for such activities will come from the appropriate university administrator.
- Other entities with whom the university has directly contracted to offer/provide approved goods and services.
- If a parent or student initiates legal action against the university.
如果教育记录在不需要事先同意的情况下被公布，学生可能不知道被公布, a reasonable attempt will be made to notify a student of what information was released and to whom it was released.
Students have the following rights regarding directory information and educational records:
Right to inspect and review educational records,
Right to inspect and review educational records, excluding 金融援助 records of 学生’s parents or guardian, confidential letters of recommendation where a student signed a waiver of right-of-access, or letters of recommendation written prior to January 1, 1975.
的 university does not maintain a central repository for student records. 查询特定的教育记录应向负责特定记录的大学办公室或机构提出. 在确定个人教育记录的位置方面，可以向大学注册办公室寻求帮助.
- To gain access a student may be requested to provide proper identification.
- Access to records will be given as soon as reasonably possible and no later than 45 days of the request.
- A designated university official must review and interpret the contents of the record with 学生.
- If a student is unable to reasonably review the record in person he/she may request a copy of a particular record, 不包括听证会录音带, and may be charged the reproduction cost of copies. 对副本的要求必须是书面的，并且只有在记录的发布不会侵犯任何其他学生的FERPA权利的情况下才能被批准. 的 university has 45 days to respond to this request.
如果学生对某一特定记录中包含的某些信息提出异议，他或她可以要求修改该特定记录. 这样做, 学生 must request the amendment in writing, to the office that maintains the particular record. 的 request does not guarantee that the amendment will be granted.
- 的 written request must state the specific data 学生 is requesting to amend and the reason for the request.
- 的 department or university official that received the request may or may not agree to amend the selected information. 如果请求被拒绝, 学生可以遵循为该特定部门制定的程序，以便继续寻求修改记录. 如果请求仍然被拒绝, 学生 may request an appeal through the Office of Academic Affairs.
- 的 student will receive a written decision as to whether or not the record was amended.
- 如果记录被修改, 学校将向学生解释修改的内容，并将修改记录在学生的档案中.
- 如果记录没有修改，学生有权对他或她正在争辩的记录进行书面陈述, explaining what information is contested and why he or she is contesting it.
Right to have records released to a third party.
A student may give a university official or office permission, 释放:口头或书面地释放, 教育记录交给第三方. (Some copies of educational records may not be released to a third party. Such records are determined through the office maintaining the records.)
- 要做到这一点，学生必须提供, 去合适的办公室, a written statement requesting the release or complete a release of information form. Individual offices may have a specific form for this request. 学生必须在申请上签名并注明日期.
- 的 student must specify which records may be disclosed, 这些记录被公开的原因, 以及记录可向谁披露.
- If a student wishes to revoke a previous request for a release, 他或她必须以书面形式这样做, to the original office the release was implemented.
Right to have some control over the disclosure of information from educational records.
根据FERPA的规定，学生在这一节中拥有一般的权利，例如选择向某些第三方发布信息, requesting that directory information not be made public, 等.
Right to request that directory information not be released unless otherwise required by agreement.
- 这样做, 学生必须在每学期上课的第10天(或夏季学期上课的第1天至第5天之间)联系大学注册办公室.
- This request will remain in effect until canceled by 学生. 在此期间, the directory information will then be treated the same as protected educational records.
A student may sign a waiver of right-of-access to confidential recommendations concerning admission, 求职申请, 参考文献, and/or application for an honor or honorary recognition.
- 在这种情况下, 学生, 要求, shall be notified of the names of individuals making such confidential recommendations. 的se recommendations are used solely for the purpose for which they were intended.
- In the event a student chooses not to sign a waiver of access, such an act may not be considered as a condition for admission, 经济援助的收据, or any other service or benefit from the university.
A student has the right to file a complaint with the U.S Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the university to comply with the requirements of FERPA.
*FERPA Annual Notice to Reflect Possible Federal and State Data Collection and Use
自2012年1月3日起，美国政府将在2012年1月3日开始实施.S. 教育部的FERPA法规扩大了您的教育记录和此类记录中包含的个人身份信息(PII)的情况，包括您的社会安全号码, 成绩, or other private information — may be accessed without your consent.
首先，美国.S. 美国总审计长.S. 司法部长，美国.S. 教育部长, 或州和地方教育当局(“联邦和州当局”)可能在未经您同意的情况下允许联邦或州当局指定的任何第三方访问您的记录和个人信息，以评估联邦或州支持的教育计划. 的 evaluation may relate to any program that is “principally engaged in the provision of education,” 如 early childhood education and job training, as well as any program that is administered by an education agency or institution.
第二个, 联邦和州当局可能允许进行某些类型研究的研究人员在未经您同意的情况下查看您的教育记录和个人信息, in certain cases even when we object to or do not request such research. 联邦和州当局必须从其授权接收您的PII的实体获得一定的使用限制和数据安全承诺, but the Authorities need not maintain direct control over such entities.
除了, in connection with Statewide Longitudinal Data Systems, 国家当局可以收集, 编译, 永久保留, and share without your consent PII from your education records, 他们可能会通过将此类PII与他们从其他联邦或州数据源获得的有关您的其他个人信息链接起来，跟踪您在教育和其他项目中的参与情况, 包括劳动力发展, 失业保险, 儿童福利, 少年司法, 服兵役, 学生记录系统.